wiki:InformsDcPlanning

Outreach Committees INFORMS DC 2008 Planning Page

To-Do

Meta Coordinator: Robin Lougee-Heimer

  • Pre-conference workshop (Leads: Brad Bell, Robin Lougee-Heimer, Kipp Martin)
    • Floated the idea of having a Sat 1/2 day workshop for COIN-OR education.
    • INFORMS approved of a COIN-OR workshop (MC meeting in DC, March 2008).
    • Board voted to approve vendor workshop
    • told INFORMS there'll be a vendor workshop (6/4/08)
    • sent Sandy Ownes note to make Robin the contact person on workshop arrangments and requested abstract word-limit (6/4)
    • added workshop to INFORMS list on coin-or events page, and created separate wiki page for workshop.
    • No internet connection - agreed to do CDs
    • No food. (Got prices. Asked organizers and slb.)
    • Schedule from 12-3pm. The room is Wilson A in the Marriott. It seats 60 Classroom style. We've inquired about tables and hope it's an option.
    • Two abstracts sumbited to Sandy Owens (long one for web with bullets and 50wd paragraph for program).
      • COIN-OR provides over 20 open-source packages useful for O. R. teaching, research, and real-world applications. Receive software and learn how to install and run, free linear, integer, and nonlinear solvers. Bring your own computer and get hands-on experience compiling and linking your code with COIN-OR utilities. For details, see https://projects.coin-or.org/Events/wiki/Informs08Workshop.
    • Detailed announcment & agenda posteed on coin-or workshop wiki
    • AV order
      • Prestige Audio Visual (ph (513) 641-1600), $225 = $10 for 10 powerstrips, $125 projector, $20 screen, $50 lavalier, $20 labor (no tax) charged to the COIN-OR Foundation credit card.
    • Received approval from SLB for artners to distribute materials at workshop
      • proposal submitted, 7/17/08
      • Notes sent to GAMS, Maximal, Ampl.
    • Action Items
      • Requested board approval for the CD plan Kipp requested on 8/31. Follow-up. Seeking official response by 9/15.
      • marketing: announce workshop on coin-announce, and other lists
      • Send note to coin-announce offering partners to distribute materials at workshp
      • Burn CDs (lead: Kipp)
      • tape workshop to be distributed on coin website.
        • Kipp says yes. Waiting to hear from Brad.
        • Maximal (Bjarni) willing to buy camera/tripod as corporate sponsorship.
      • Conduct a dry run amongst organizers.
  • Booth (Lead: Matt Saltzman, if Robin orders the chocolate)
    • Booth abstract submitted, 7/17.
    • Forwarded booth order materials to Matt on 8/14/08.
    • Chocolate coins ordered (Lead: Robin)
      • Reference: Seattle Chocolate Order -- ordered choc coins from Astor Chocolate Company: 300 each: dk-mint/gold; dk/silver; milk/bronze. 2 sided: side1/COIN-OR, side2/jpeg. Total was $289.27 for the coins and the freight. The chocolate alone was $270. Contact: Michelle, msaalkind@… (previous contact, Ann, is no longer with the company), Account is under: "Watson Research Center 32-207 - COIN-OR." They also locate it by zip = 10598.
      • Chocolate Received, 9/23/08.
      • Chocolate Mules (i.e., people bringing the chocolate to the booth)
        • Joao Gonclaves
        • Alan King
        • Michen Chen
        • Tarun Kumar
        • Andrew Conn
        • <more tbd>
    • Action Items
      • Create literature for booth
        • update flyer about COIN-OR.
        • do we want business cards with pictures of coin-cup meeting?
        • need sign with announcement of user meeting
        • would be nice to have list of open-source talks happening at the meeting, in addition to markeing material.
      • Ship banner (Matt Saltzman currently has it).
    • Order electric & furniture
      • Reference: Seattle order: Placed booth order same as in Pgh. 8ft shirted table, gold drapes, 3 chairs ($185). Placed electric order: one 20amps/120Volt electric connection ($57.72)
    • Schedule booth coverage
    • Get volunteers to set up/tear down. Booth info will have setup/tear down times. (In Seattle is was 12-5 Sunday; take down 3:30-6pm Weds.)
    • Get copies of Annual Repport and ORMS Today with COIN-OR article to distribute at booth
    • Ask someone to bring a power strip.
  • Cup (Lead: Brady Hunsaker)
    • send out call for submissions, and advertise
    • arrange location and time
    • send abstract to INFORMS, pronto
    • post details on the wiki
    • recruite cup committee
    • select winner, with help with cup committee.
    • buy "the cup" -- historically, it's a souvenier mug/cup from the city where the meeting is held.
    • get someone to create business-card sized maps with where/when to distribute at INFORMS and repro.
    • make award at the celebration.
    • get some pictures at the event to post on-line, if possible.
    • IBM will sponsor at DC (e.g., buy first round). Need list of attendees.
  • Annual Report (Lead: Robin)
    • Contact every project manager and get updates - one.
    • Contact TLC - done.
    • Contact SLB - done.
    • Contact every committee chair and get updates - done.
    • Write lists for updates - want input from users. Done.
    • Scan lists for updates
    • Get input from anywhere else you can think of
    • Put it all on the wiki, and encourage wiki submissions - doing.
    • Format wiki content into nicer format (Lead: Kevin)
    • Print hard copy and have some copies available at user meeting & booth. (Lead: Kevin)
    • Post link to Annual Report '08 in the records page of the Foundation. (Lead: Kevin)
  • Member & Users Meeting (Lead: Bob Fourer)
    • Action Items
      • send abstract to INFORMS - pronto!
      • arrange room with INFORMS. Contact: Cheryl.clark@…
      • post info on wiki and advertise on list, etc.
      • create agenda (have a few hardcopies for distribution at the meeting)
      • coordinate speakers
      • run meeting
      • pass around an attendance sheet
  • ORMS Today article (Lead: Robin)
    • Submission due date: Sept. 1, 2008
    • Look at last year's article and do likewise (i.e., what's happening in DC and only high-level highlights)
    • Submit to editor, Peter Horner.
  • ICS Update (Lead: ?)
    • This is easy. Take the annual report/ORMS Today article, selct a highlights, create slide and present at the ICS business meeting Monday night.
    • <Format of the ICS Business Meeting is being dicussed; stay tuned.>
  • COIN-OR Cluster (Lead: Joao Goncalves)
    • Done.
Last modified 13 years ago Last modified on Sep 26, 2008 9:34:38 AM